6 Family Ski Resorts in Connecticut: The Lowdown
Here's a comparison of six area ski resorts that are family-friendly. Tip: If you want to avoid lines head to any of these mountains FIRST thing in the morning and be pleasantly surprised. I was at Mohawk one morning and had the lodge to myself! Going on a week day is always great too.
1) Mohawk Mountain Ski Area in Cornwall, Connecticut is celebrating it's 65th season. Pros: great snow (real and homemade), well marked trails, new lifts, excellent ski school for children with extensive programming, challenging trails for adults, on-mountain restaurant. This is more of a ski experience than say Woodbury. Food is pricey but you can bring your own.
2) Woodbury Ski Area in Woodbury, CT is a small family oriented mountain with a couple of runs. They have downhill skiing as well as a snowboarding trail that includes 2 half-pipes and a quarter pipe. They also have ski-bikes and cross country trails. For those who don't ski they have a fun snow tubing park which you can read about HERE.
3) Ski Sundown is a small ski area located in New Hartford, Connecticut. It's half the size of Mohawk Mountain and has more beginner trails. This ski area is a great place for an intro to snow sports or to tune your skills. They have a ski school and a comfortable lodge.
4) Mount Southington is a small family mountain with a terrain park. I haven't been there but it sounds like the lodge needs a makeover. However they get great reviews for being a friendly, not so crowded small mountain. Lessons available.
5) Ski Butternut and 6) Catamount are two other favorite areas just over the NY/ Mass borders. My boys, being the snowboarders that they are, love the snowboard terrain park at Butternut (Great Barrington, Mass). Catamount is located in Holmes, NY. Great ski school and very family friendly resort. Summary, for family fun you can't go wrong at any of these places.
Originally published on 1/22/12.
- Turkey Trots and Thanksgiving Day Races in Fairfield County, CT
- Great Family Pit Stops along the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut
- Turkey Trots for Kids: Where Westchester Families Can Get Active and Have Fun for a Good Cause
- Turkey Trots and Other Holiday Fun Runs: Festive Foot Races for Boston Families